Monday, November 3, 2008

The long, dark night of the soul

 
I remember when the basics of risk analysis were explained to me. Essentially, it factors the potential that something might happen with the cost should it happen. For example, while it isn't likely a jet flying over a major city will crash, there's still significant risk because of the level of damage it would create if it did.

So, while I believe Obama will carry the day tomorrow, the magnitude of my disappointment should he falter, or should the most sinister of the Right's machinations succeed, means I'm wallowing in significant risk.

Frankly, I'm worried I might very really lose my shit if McCain wins.

And the smug assurances of Bill Kristol that my liberal heart need not quake in fear at the notion of McCain presidency do nothing to lesson my anxiety. Neither do the frantic barrage of calls I've gotten in the last 24 hours from humans and robots alike. I'm sorry to those humans that I have yet to answer any of these calls, as I know it is difficult and often fruitless work, but please, stop, I can't handle it.

Right now holding my breath and preparing to vote have me fully occupied. That and stocking up on heavy medications for Wednesday morning, just in case.

4 comments:

the beige one said...

So many people I talked to on Monday echo your thoughts.

I am just happy that it's finally here.

Joe said...

Right there with you, JJ.

Deni said...

Yea, I'm pretty sure if I had my blood pressure taken today it would be through the roof.

The anxiety is getting to me.

Deep breaths.....ohmmmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

I can't concentrate on anything at work. How shameful is it that in the United States, people are cynical and leery and distrustful of the voting process. The hell is this, Zimbabwe? Don't answer that.