Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a difference four years makes

 
I'm sure I wasn't the only one to record Obama's speech last night, and it truly was one for the ages. My daughter fell asleep right after the race was called for Obama, and I'm looking forward to watching it again, this time with her, when we get home later today.

I'm most struck this morning by the difference between the swaggering "I've earned some political capital, and I mean to spend it" and the humble "For those of you whose support I have yet to gain, I may not have gotten your vote, but I will listen to you." And I'm particularly impressed by Obama's call for hard work from all of us, for sacrifice to make this country what we want it to be, what it deserves to be.

There is some time to bask in the raucous joy of this historic moment. I was again almost moved to tears this morning just hearing clips from Obama's speech, and am experiencing a feeling of well-being and optimism unlike anything I've felt for the last eight years.

But when it subsides, as it inevitably must, we have to resume our hard work, arguing for social justice and economic equality, pushing the new Obama administration to fulfill every promise made to us in two long years of campaigning.

Because it won't be enough for us to echo "Yes we can." We must respond with "And, goddamnit, we will."

2 comments:

the beige one said...

I was too in shock to let the weight of his speech seep into me. It was only hours after the fact, while watching a replay that the import of it sunk in.

Amen to your closing sentiment.

Anonymous said...

Aw this post made me well up. Yes agreed. Rolling up the sleeves as I type this.